Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Let's Get Meta!

The following post was written (mostly) last week and I was going to post it, but then I got ill.  Being ill is never fun, as I'm pretty sure is known to everybody, but it's been a while since my body reminded me of that mean little fact.  Now I feel like I've lost a week, so it makes a little bit of sense that this post is a week late.

This weekend, a gaggle of my aunts and uncles gathered at my parent's house out in the burbs.  Mini-reunions of this sort are few and far between and it was entertaining to say the least to observe the dynamic between my dad and his siblings.  I am always a fan of family time and this weekend proved to be no exception.  Hearing stories of the good ole' days never fails to bring tear-wrenching laughter to the table.  During the dinner prep, my Aunt Sarah turns to me and asked, "So Morgan, what are you looking forward to?" Thiking very small, I responded with, "in this meal?" Nope. She meant in life.  Wham.  Way to kick this conversation up a notch and put the pressure on.  It's interesting- I have someone ask me some version of this question about once a month and I always panic that my answers aren't interesting enough.  It's terrifyingly easy to get into the lather, rinse, repeat routine of stumbling out of bed to get to work on time, literally kneading and whisking the day away, returning home to spend a few hours in my apartment puttering and before I know it, a week has passed.  And I love my job.  I can only imagine how people who hate their job and count down the seconds before they can roll out of the office feel. We started this blog three (three? seriously? wow.) years ago to document our adventures and remind us all that we always have time! Now that I've had time to think about an answer, Aunt Sarah, I would say, "I'm really looking forward to the daily adventure!"

Okay, enough cheesefest time. Let's get to the adventures!  This past weekend (now I'm typing in present tense. Confusing, I know...apologies) was the Head of the Charles Race.  The two-day regatta features crew teams and individuals on the Charles River, racing against each other and the elements.  In all the years I've lived in the city and surrounding area, I've never actually seen these races even though it's an event that allegedly drew 300,000 spectators to town and has gotten so popular that the organizers are considering adding a third day next year.  This was our year to finally see what all the hoopla was about! My roommate, Cam, decided there was no better excuse than boats to throw a delicious and fabulous brunch party before heading to the races.  I awoke on Sunday to Cam at the helm in the kitchen, with the aid of her helpful brother, frying up bacon, arranging homemade coffee cake, vegan pumpkin muffins, a bevy of quiches, an tureen of fresh fruit and a platter of potato and apple hash.  The coffee bar, and more importantly, mimosa bar was already in full swing.


Now this is a Sunday morning I could certainly get used to! The festivities carried well into the early afternoon until we all packed up some thermoses of... coffee (ahem, mimosas) for the road and it was to the river we went! To be honest, the races themselves left something majorly to be desired, especially since I had no idea what was going on, what the rules were or which team was rowing.  The excuse, however, to spend the day outside was greatly appreciated.  Eventually we ended the day with a serious pile of homemade nachos and a win for the Patriots (sometimes, I pretended to follow football.) The funtivities truly helped dull the pain and annoyance of the previous week's illness.


Random questions to think about:

Do regardless and irregardless mean the same thing?

Could pumpkin pie vodka possibly be a delicious, yet disgusting invention?

Why does the iPhone always change were to we're, no matter the context or how many times you switch it back?




1 comment: